Monday, October 29, 2007

The Secret on Secrets

Secrets always have been, are and will be very important in life.
...and I don't care what anyone says - it's only a secret if only you know it.

It's only normal for secrets to be followed by speculation.

I make it a point to be fairly open about my life, what I do and what I want to accomplish.
I mean, most of the time, people help me along willingly and it works for all the parties involved, I think.
However, sometimes, keeping something a secret is appropriate.
Other times it's not.

More often though, I see where a secret can be a gimmick. (...and after reading this, I hope you can too.)

Here's an interesting article about secrets and food.

While some companies are moving toward greater transparency regarding the ingredients of their products (to allay fears about trans fats, for instance), in some cases the secret of a product’s makeup is not only closely guarded, but promoted as a key part of its allure. Mysteries can be a great advertising gimmick.

The proprietors of Antoine’s restaurant in New Orleans were clearly operating from this idea when they created their famous recipe for Oysters Rockefeller; although it has been widely speculated upon, this recipe has remained a secret since it was first developed in 1899. Having sampled Oysters Rockefeller at Antoine’s, I would say that I greatly enjoyed their taste, but I got more enjoyment out of trying to guess the elements of the recipe.

This same type of marketing is at work in the promotion of Dr Pepper soda. The only information given by the manufacturer is that it contains 23 flavors; it’s up to customers to draw their own conclusions about what those flavors are. Ditto for Coca Cola’s secret recipe and the “11 herbs and spices” in Kentucky Fried Chicken. In a similar vein, the makers of one of Italy’s best-known liqueurs, Fernet-Branca, prefer to keep the composition of their product top secret, but rumors about what it may contain are certainly tantalizing.

Read more at http://itotd.com/articles/604/fernet-branca/

No comments: