Friday, October 12, 2007

Guards Chat in 'Wizard of Oz'

I have this cell phone ringtone from the Wizard of Oz that is the guards chanting whatever the fuck that is they chant, so this has been on my mind lately.

At one time, a substitute teacher in my 9th grade English class I remember very distinctly, Mr. Jones, told me that what sounded like O-E-O was actually, "All we are, we owe her." It sounded right and I thought I had a better understanding of the guards.
However, as I went to blog this and get a reference, the IMDB record for 'Wizard of Oz' says this: .
What do the witch's guards chant?
From the trivia page: There are many alleged lyrics to the "Winkie Chant" performed by the Witch's guards, including "All we own, we owe her", "Oh we love the old one", and "Oh we loathe the old one". However, the correct version, seen in the film's screenplay, is "O-Ee-Yah! Eoh-Ah!" and any other interpretations are simply the result of the listener's mind treating the chant as an audio ink blot.
If you want to hear the freakin' thing, visit http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/wired/699/oz/chant.wav
and you can hear what I am talking about now.

I don't know and I don't really care that much. My dad is a "Wizard of Oz" freak and knows the
name of the head flying monkey. I didn't even know there was a head flying monkey. ...or that he would have a name.

I always like seeing the "goofs" of a movie to see if I would have caught them. CLICK HERE for the "goofs" from the 'Wizard of Oz.'

1 comment:

Plunge said...

I once had the chance to ask Ernie Harburg, the son of "Yip" (who wrote the screenplay), what they were saying. And he said they were just saying nonsense syllables that sounded good.